STREAM CONTENT EASILY WITH YOUR APPLE COMPUTER
While Plex is currently the king of multimedia media servers, Kodi is a strong competitor who appeals to a large market that seeks personalization and open-source access. Kodi cannot function as a central media server, but its diverse library of plugins allows direct transmission from a variety of sources. However, since Kodi is open source and is often constantly changing, prepare for a rough trip when installing and using the application. Also, check here about Working Builds For Kodi in 2020.
Because Kodi is a popular media center within the pirate community, Kodi’s legality has often been constantly changing. Kodi’s main streaming media software is completely legal, but some of Kodi’s unofficial add-ons allow streaming of pirated content. Piracy is definitely illegal.
HOW TO INSTALL KODI FOR MAC
- You need to run OS X Lion (10.7) or later to install Kodi.
- Download Kodi for macOS from the Kodi website. Kodi is available for several operating systems, so be sure to download the correct file.
- Do not download Kodi from any other unknown source, as it may come with unwanted malware.
- Chrome and Chromium users will be asked to confirm the download of the installer. Click Save to continue with the installer download.
- Open the downloaded DMG and drag the Kodi icon to the linked Applications folder.
- Open Kodi from the Applications folder.
- Depending on your configuration, you may receive a Gatekeeper notification from your Mac that tells you that Kodi cannot be opened because it is from an unknown developer. If so, right-click on the Kodi icon, click Open in the context menu, and then click Open in the Gatekeeper dialog box.
SETTING UP YOUR KODI LIBRARY IN MACOS
- Kodi will open in full screen and display its databases in the sidebar. Click Movies and then in the Enter Files section to start importing the movie library.
- In order for Kodi to access video files and any other media, it is necessary for the device to have local access to it. This could mean on a hard drive, or on a network server. If you can’t find the files in Finder, you won’t be able to add them to Kodi.
- Click Add videos at the bottom of the folder list.
- Click Browse and then select the directory where the movies are saved.
- Click OK when you reach the desired folder, and then click OK again to add the contents of the folder to the database.
- Press ESC to return to the main menu and then click Movies. You can press the ESC key to go back one screen at any time.
- In the resulting pop-up window titled “This directory contains”, click Movies to set the type of metadata. This will instruct Kodi to automatically connect your movies with the relevant metadata of the movie database. You will see the action in progress at the top right of the screen.
- You can continue adding television programs, music and other types of media by selecting the appropriate library section and repeating the previous steps. Be sure to choose the right type of medium so that Kodi can attach the correct metadata to your medium.
WORK WITH PLUGINS AND PLUGINS IN KODI FOR MAC
Kodi functionality can be significantly extended with plugins or plugins. In the library of complements and complements of Kodi, you can find complements with official authorization; Kodi strives to exclude accessories that allow piracy. As a result, there is a black market of Kodi add-ons used for the transmission of pirated content.
DOWNLOAD OFFICIAL KODI ADD-ONS FOR MAC
- The ins and official plugins or add-ons are installed Kodi from the application.
- Click Add-ons, or addons, on the left, and then click Downloads at the bottom of the menu when available. This will reveal a list of categories that contain official Kodi add-ons.
- Once you have chosen an add-on to install, click on its name in the list of available add-ons.
- In the next window, click Install to install the add-in and the necessary dependencies. For example, the YouTube plug-in installs five add-ons needed to make it work. If you have ever installed an application through a package manager, you will be familiar with the dependency search and installation process before you can use an application that depends on them.
- To use an add-in, press ESC to return to the main add-ons menu, and then look for the installed extension in the list. The YouTube extension, for example, is found in video add-ons.
- Click on the icon associated with the add-on to start the installation process. Click on the steps in the setup process, following the instructions as they appear.
- Once the installation process is complete, you will be directed to the main menu of the application. You will notice that navigation plugins in Kodi are mainly based on text. Each menu folder contains a section or action of the add-on. Here you will not see the well-known graphical interface of any streaming service.
- There is now – The official complement can now be accessed through the Kodi add-ons menu.
DOWNLOAD OTHER KODI PLUGINS FOR MAC
One of Kodi’s strengths is its ability to stream content from the BitTorrent network. Streaming is fast, robust and surprisingly stable for an open-source P2P video streaming client.
If you are interested in obtaining streaming extensions from outside the official Kodi market, such as from Exodus, you should visit this page and follow the instructions there.
STREAMING LIVE TV WITH KODI ON MAC
With a little persistence and persuasion, Kodi can be configured to stream live TV. This will work for the transmission channels that send digital signals. To receive these channels, you will need a USB compatible digital antenna connected to your Mac. Alternatively, you can also stream live TV broadcasts on your TV, which is a more natural setting for an antenna.
There are three components in TV streaming with Kodi:
- PVR Server: Interpret your HD antenna data and translate it into video files that can be managed by Kodi.
- PVR add-on for Kodi: Take the video files from the server and enter them in Kodi.
- Graphical user interface (GUI): A graphical interface is needed to interact with all these things. Your GUI is Kodi’s own application, so it is already fixed.
There are not many PVR servers available for Mac. MythTV, as well as EyeTV and TVHeadEnd, are the three main options. Following their installation instructions is the best way to proceed since they are the most detailed and updated. Make sure you also take the PVR front-ends so that the content has a place to go once it is inside your Mac.
IS KODI RIGHT FOR ME?
Most of the fun with Kodi is to experiment with new add-ons and adjust the settings until it’s perfect. It is similar to running a Linux distribution; Some people love the necessary work, while others do not. If you belong to this last category, Plex is a better multimedia server option. But, if you want to work for a while creating the perfect media configuration, Kodi is perfect for you to do.