Most StreamDroid Subscribers use IPVanish VPN to protect themselves when using the free streaming apps and low-cost IPTV solutions covered on this site.
This Supercharge VPN Guide will provide you with some helpful tips and tricks when using IPVanish.
This Supercharge VPN Guide covers the following topics:
- How to install IPVanish VPN app (video included)
- How to configure settings properly
- How to increase download speed when using a VPN
- Troubleshooting tips for most common VPN problems
- Accessing IPVanish 24/7 support
IPVanish VPN will encrypt your connection to the Internet making it impossible for your Internet Service Provider (ISP), government, hackers, app developers, and others from logging what you are accessing online.
It will also mask your IP address and location, making you 100% anonymous.
Don’t Miss : Black Friday VPN Deals LEAKED – Claim now!
Last but certainly not least, IPVanish VPN will allow you to access streams and sites that are being blocked or shall we say “censored” by your ISP. Your Internet provider doesn’t like these free apps because it interferes with them selling cable services to you.
You can use IPVanish on up to 10 devices simultaneously and they provide applications for all popular platforms.
How to Install IPVanish VPN
You must first register for an IPVanish account prior to taking advantage of the VPN tips and tricks outlined below.
IPVanish provides the fastest download speeds of any VPN available. Since we are streaming large HD files with our VPN on, download speed is important to avoid buffering problems.
Installing the IPVanish VPN app on your Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, NVIDIA SHIELD, Android TV Box, phone or tablet is easy.
Simply search your respective app store for “IPVanish” and install the application.
Fire TV/Stick users can install directly through the Amazon App Store. Android TV Box/phone/tablet & NVIDIA SHIELD owners can install through Google Play Store.
1. Install IPVanish VPN Application
2. Input the username and password that you set when registering for your IPVanish account and then click Login. Your username is the email address that you used to register.
3. Most of us will usually click the CONNECT button without configuring anything else in the settings panel. But, not so fast!
Let me summarize what the various settings do and I will explain how I configure each of them myself for the best possible IPVanish experience.
IPVanish VPN Settings
The following screenshots are taken from a Fire TV Stick 4K but the same settings will also appear on other Android-powered devices as well. The appearance of the screen may vary depending on device.
To access the settings section, click the gear icon in top-right corner.
Start IPVanish will automatically launch the application when your device (Fire TV Stick/Android TV Box, etc.) is turned on. I leave this off because there are some applications that I don’t use the VPN with.
Auto Reconnect will automatically re-connect the VPN if it is terminated for some reason unexpectedly. I keep this option turned on to allow for maximum protection in case the VPN disconnects for some reason.
Allow LAN access when turned on will not route local are network traffic through the VPN. I keep this turned on so that I can connect to the Firestick or Fire TV through the network with various apps such as Plex Media Server or Amazon Fire TV Remote control app.
Split Tunneling allows the user to choose applications that can connect to the Internet without being routed through the VPN. This is handy when using applications that don’t allow for VPN use such as Netflix. This feature is still in its infancy and may not work properly on all Fire TV models yet.
Some paid service such as Netflix and Amazon Prime don’t play well with VPNs and they will block your access if you are using one.
If the above split tunneling feature doesn’t work, simply disconnect your VPN and use the application with it off.
Once inside the Split Tunneling settings, you can check which apps don’t require VPN protection. Click the three vertical dots in top-right corner will allow you to show system apps such as Prime Video so you can activate this feature for those as well.
Show system apps button.
System apps are displayed after enabling “Show system apps”.
Scramble adds obfuscation to Open VPN which may allow it to bypass Websites or services that block VPNs. I keep this off unless there is a site or service that is blocking my VPN where this setting circumvents the action.
VPN Protocol is the connection protocol used by the application.
OpenVPN (TCP) and OpenVPN (UDP) are the available settings for VPN Protocol. UDP usually provides much faster download speeds when using a VPN so I recommend that option. If your VPN app is not connecting, it may help switching your connection protocol in this section.
Port is the tunnel through which your Internet traffic moves.
Port 443 is optimal since this is usually used for HTTPS traffic and may help get around various blocks. I suggest leaving this setting on 443 unless directly by IPVanish support staff to change it.
Contact Support will direct you to the IPVanish support information.
Terms of Service provides their most recent document.
Licenses provides a document with the licenses used within the application/service.
Increase Download Speed When Using A VPN
Running a VPN decreases download speed because we are encrypting our connection and then tunneling our traffic through an outside server.
Use the following steps to ensure you are connecting to the fastest IPVanish Server.
1. Start off connecting to the Best Available Country, City, and Server
2. With your VPN active, open an Internet Browser on your streaming device. On the Fire TV/Stick, I recommend Silk Browser as it is a free download through the Amazon App Store.
Once you have opened the browser, go to streamdroid.org/speedtest
3. Click Start Test.
4. You will be presented with your results. You want to note your Download speed, which in this example is 20.2 Mbps.
Download Speeds Explained
People get too hung up on download speeds and don’t understand that there is such a thing as overkill.
Yes, just because you can download 80Mbps, this doesn’t mean that you are actually downloading that fast. It all depends on the server that you are streaming from.
If the server that you are streaming from isn’t capable of sending your stream that fast, your high download speeds won’t help one bit.
Here are the recommended download speeds for each respective video format.
Recommended Download Speeds
- Standard Definition: 2.5 Mbps
- 720p HD: 6 Mbps
- 1080p HD: 8 Mbps
- 4K Ultra HD: 25 Mbps
So, if you look at the chart above, anything over 30 Mbps probably won’t add any benefit to your streaming experience.
Also, you only need approximately 8 Mbps to stream 1080p content, which is great for most cord-cutters.
After completing the test above, if you aren’t happy with your download speed, you can try changing IPVanish servers.
5. Click Disconnect button in IPVanish
6. Change City to closest City of your physical location.
7. Click Server.
You will notice that the ping rate is indicated behind each server. In theory, the lower the number, the faster the connection but I haven’t always found this to be the case. Test out different servers until you find one with good download speed.
8. Connect again
9. Now test your Internet speed again with this server via steps 2-6 above.
10. Repeat these steps until you find a server that provides the fastest download speed.
StreamDroid Tip: Enable ‘Start IP Vanish at startup’ to ALWAYS be connected to a VPN whilst your device is on.
Thanks for reading the StreamDroid Ultimate VPN Guide 2019
Hopefully, the setting tweaks and download speed alterations will help improve your streaming experience!
VPN Troubleshooting Tips
Most of you will never need these, but just in case I have you covered.
- If your IPVanish VPN application is not connecting, go into Settings / VPN Protocol and change to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN (UDP), whichever one isn’t currently active
- Restart both your streaming device and router by unplugging from power, let sit for a minute and then plug back in.
- If your download speed seems slow or you are experiencing buffering, choose a different server, close to where you are located within the VPN application. Keep in mind that there are multiple servers available for each location and you can try each of them to see which provides better results.
- If you are having problems logging into IPVanish VPN, double check that there are no spaces within the email address that you use as your login. Sometimes a space is automatically added following the @ symbol.
- Uninstall the IPVanish VPN App. After you have removed the VPN, reinstall with the guide above.
- If the IPVanish application doesn’t appear in Amazon App Store on your device, follow the screenshot guide above for installing through Downloader app.
- If you forgot or lost your IPVanish password, you can reset it by clicking the “Forgot Password” link within the login area on the IPVanish Website.
- If you need help with something, send IPVanish an email at [email protected]
IPVanish VPN Support
IPVanish provides 24/7 live support through their Website if you have questions about your account, pricing, or technical support.
You will see a Help button in the bottom right corner of the IPVanish VPN Website. Click that.
Type in a search term that references the help that you desire. In this example, I have a question about the discount that is being offered on this page. Click the search icon or hit enter on your keyboard after typing in your term.
If the results listed on the screen don’t help you, proceed to Live chat by clicking the button in the lower-right corner.